Thursday, May 23, 2013

Perspective is a beautiful thing


We didn't celebrate your birthday, Harry. Ginny and I... we'd prepared a cake. We were going to bring it out at the end of the wedding.

HARRY:
Hermione... I appreciate the thought, honestly. But given that we were almost killed by a couple of Death Eaters a few minutes ago...

                                   HERMIONE
                                      Right. Perspective.





I LOVE this quote.  And it's so true.  Perspective really is everything.  I have a tendency to catch myself complaining and worrying about things that are so completely and utterly "first world problems" that it is quite embarrassing. In light of the tornados that hit so close to home this week, I have been especially reflective on my life and the things that really matter.  Not 2 hours ago I was sitting here in my room, under my twinkle lights, catching up on a TV show while relaxing in my super comfy queen sized bed and worrying about whether I was going to get scheduled for enough hours this week at Anthropologie. Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to brag at all...but let's be real...FIRST. WORLD. PROBLEMS.  I'm worrying about these things while people are sleeping on the rubble that used to be their homes not 72 hours ago. 

Now I know that finding a job or having lack of appropriate hours at said job is nothing to take lightly, but when you end up dwelling on it instead of praying about it...you're not putting your faith in God.  I'M NOT PUTTING MY FAITH IN GOD.  We are told in Matthew 6:25-34 to look at the birds of the air and the flowers of the field.  The Lord cares for them.  Will he not care for us that much more?  "Can any one of you by worrying add a SINGLE HOUR to your life?" (vs 27) "Oh YOU of little faith"..."do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of it's own." (vs. 30&34) I cannot imagine having Jesus look at me and say "oh you of little faith". But he is speaking directly to me in this passage.  I so often try to pass off worry as prayer.  And they just aren't the same thing.  So as I write to you from my house that is still standing, where I live with 3 beautiful Christian women whom I am HONORED to call my friends, I encourage you to look at your life and try to put things in perspective.  We shouldn't have to have tragedy strike to be reminded just how blessed we are. 

-Mads

No comments:

Post a Comment